Friday, March 30, 2012

Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup

I just LOVE slow cooker meals and this one is super yummy!
Thank you to the Dainty-Chef for this recipe!


Ingredients:
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 cups milk
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans (10 oz. each) Rotel diced tomatoes and habaneros (or another flavor if you prefer less spice)
2 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
1 diced yellow or white onion
1 diced red pepper
1 can (10 oz.) Enchilada sauce
6 boneless chicken thighs (I used frozen)
Toppings:
Cheese (any type - I used Cheddar and Monterrey Jack)
Olives
Green Onions
Avocado
Cilantro
Sour Cream
Crushed Tortilla Chips

Directions:
Whenever I cook in my slow cooker, which is every week, I ALWAYS use Reynolds Slow Cooker liners.  They are worth every penny and don't cost that many!
First put your slow cooker liner into your slow cooker :)
Next, combine beans, Rotel, corn, onion, and bell pepper together in your slow cooker.
Place your chicken on top.
In a saucepan, melt butter.
Whisk in flour, stirring constantly until smooth and bubbly.  Remove from heat.
Add chicken broth and 1/2 cup milk - whisking constantly to keep smooth.
Return to the heat.  Bring sauce to a gentle boil.  Stir constantly until it thickens. Remove from heat.
Stir in enchilada sauce.
Gradually stir in remaining milk.  Stir until smooth.
Pour over ingredients in the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
Before serving, remove chicken and cut or shred.  I put my chicken into a bowl and used 2 forks to shred it.
Return shredded chicken to the soup and mix well.
Serve with any of the desired toppings listed above and let me know if you come up with other great toppings!



No comments:

Post a Comment