Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Jamaican Jerk Chicken Nachos

These nachos are AMAZING!

Ingredients:
6 cups tortilla chips
3 cups diced chicken
2 cups shredded cheddar
2 tbsp plus 2 tsp Jamaican Jerk Rub(you can buy a prepared Jerk or you can use my recipe below)
1 red bell pepper
1/2 cup drained and rinsed black beans
1 lime
2-3 tbsp of minced fresh cilantro
1/4 -1/2 cup sour cream

Directions:
Dice and cook chicken.  I use my George Foreman to cook the chicken and then my kitchen scissors to cut it directly into the bowl because I HATE touching raw, thawed chicken!!
Next, combine cheese, chicken, and 1 tbsp of the Jamaican Jerk Rub and set aside.
Spread a layer of tortilla chips onto your baking sheet (I use my stoneware baking sheet.)  Sprinkle the chicken mixture evenly over the chips.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Dice the red pepper and place into a small bowl.
Rinse and drain a can of black beans.  Add 1/2 cup (or however much you prefer - I usually add about the same amount as red pepper.)
Juice 1/2 of the lime into the bowl with the red pepper.
Add 1 tbsp of the Jerk ruband mix well.
Place the cilantro into a small bowl.  Using kitchen scissors, mince the cilantro.
Spoon the bell pepper mix over the nachos.  I like to pour the remaining lime juice and seasoning over them as well - it doesn't make them soggy.
Sprinkle the cilantro evenly over the nachos.
Combine sour cream and 2 tsp of Jerk rub in a zip top bag.  Close the bag and squish (a technical cooking term) the bag to mix.
Cut a small corner off the bag and pipe the sour cream mixture over the nachos.  Garnish with lime slices. 
We squeeze the additional lime wedges onto the nachos when we are eating them.  Yummy!
The original recipe is from Pampered Chef - I have modified a couple of things :)

Jamaican Jerk Rub:
 Ingredients:
3 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp salt (optional if you prefer sodium free)
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cayenne pepper (I usually use a heaping tsp)
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.


No comments:

Post a Comment