Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Homemade Kids' Game Gift


Tippy Tepee Game

This is a fun game to make for a child.  I saw the game in a magazine that I was reading a while back and made this gift for my Westra Children for Christmas!  Because it is a game that has pieces, I decided to make a little box to everything in.  This game reminds me of Break the Ice or Don't Break the Camels' Back.


Materials:
1 1/2 pieces of Scrapbook Paper
tape (or even better double sided tape)
wooden dowels or wooden skewers
strong scissors

Directions:

First, cut dowel or skewers to length.  I made mine varying lengths between 6 and 8 inches.  Next cut a strip of paper 3 inches by 3/4 inches (the length will depend on how many sticks you have.)  Tape the ends of the paper together to make a ring.  You will need to try it out to see if you need to make the ring wider or narrower.  If your tepee is too tippy, widen the ring.



For the box, I used a whole sheet of paper to make my box.  Fold the paper into even fourths with a 1/4 inch fifth side to use as a flap to secure the box together.  Tape or glue along the side (I used tape because I don't like waiting for glue to dry :)  Honesty is the best policy, right!)



Next, cut about 2 - 2 1/2 inches down each corner on ONLY ONE end of the box and fold sides to close the end.

  

Again, secure with tape or glue . . . we all know what I used!


For the top, I cut down each corner again so that the sticks would fit inside once it was closed.  Then I trimmed along the top of each side so that I could fold the sides into each other to close.  See the picture below.


Last, I placed the game inside along with a piece of scrapbook paper with the directions written on it.

Game Directions:

Tippy Tepee
To set up game, place sticks inside ring and fan out to stand up like a tepee.
To play, take turns carefully removing one stick at a time.  Whoever knocks the tepee over loses.

No comments:

Post a Comment