Thursday, December 8, 2011

Breakfast Fun-For Dinner!

Here at the Westra house every Wednesday night I serve breakfast for dinner.  I found this super adorable snowman pancake on pinterest and just knew I had to make it for my kids.  We do love our snowmen!! 
For our protein I made our favorite breakfast casserole.  I got this recipe from Kurt's mom years ago and it really is our go to recipe for holiday brunches or for when we have company.  The best part is you can make it ahead of time and pop it in the oven when you are ready.
Amish Breakfast Casserole
1 pound browned sausage
1 medium sweet onion
8-10 quality eggs lightly beaten
4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes thawed
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups(12 ounces) small curd cottage cheese
1 1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese

Brown and drain sausage.  In bowl combine remaining ingredients.  Add sausage.  Transfer to greased 9x13 inch pan.  Bake uncovered for 1 hour at 350 degrees.  Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

You may have noticed that I typed "quality eggs" in the recipe.  I cannot stress the difference in flavor not to mention nutritional value in quality farm eggs.  I know Heather would agree with me.  She does get her eggs from my chickens after all.  No seriously if you are able to buy farm eggs directly from a local farmer-do!  They are so much better for you and they taste amazing!  Once you do this you will never go back to store bought eggs I promise!!

I hope you all enjoy the casserole!

No comments:

Post a Comment