Thursday, June 7, 2012

Butterscotch Cake- A Guest Post

Do you enjoy church pot lucks?  I do-probably too much!  Great food, future recipes to try out at home if the cook is willing to share, and great fellowship-what could be better! 
My friend Missy has brought this wonderful cake to church twice now and both times I asked her for the recipe, then stooped to begging over email telling her this must be shared with the world-it just must!!!  Before I share Missy's cake recipe I want to tell everyone that this amazing woman is a super hero-truly she is!  A mother of five, she should wear a cape while grocery shopping and a tiara while vacuuming.  And she cracks me up!  Before I go on and on and preach a sermon titled Mama V. wife, mother, world conqueror I'll share her email containing the recipe for this fabulous cake.  As always Enjoy!


  By the way Evan, thanks for making me take pictures of that last piece of cake.  I am on a diet and I absolutely had to eat that piece after taking it out of the pan and taking pictures of it!!!  ;)  Anyway, here is the recipe:

Butterscotch Cake
I really hate to admit how embarrassingly easy this recipe is;  however, doesn't it always seem like the best things really are just that simple?  Enjoy!

1 yellow cake mix
2 eggs
1 can Thank You Butterscotch Pudding
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup Butterscotch Chips

Just a side note before you begin, my recipe calls for a can of Thank You Butterscotch pudding, which I haven't been able to find anywhere!  I ended up substituting 6 single serving cups of Hunt's Butterscotch pudding.  (They come in 4 packs, so you'll have to let your kids fight over who gets the two leftovers!) Beat together cake mix, eggs, and pudding.  Pour into a greased 9x13 cake pan.  Sprinkle on sugar and then the walnuts.  Bake according to directions on cake mix.  (I usually end up baking mine at 350 degrees for approx. 25-30 minutes - until a toothpick comes out clean.)  In the last five minutes of baking, take the cake out and sprinkle the butterscotch chips on top.  Put back in the oven and continue baking for the remaining 5 minutes. 

There are as many variations to this recipe as your imagination will allow!  It is truly one of the most moist cakes I have ever made, while still being light and not too dense.  If you're a chocoholic, you could do a chocolate cake mix and chocolate pudding with chocolate chips.  You could try a lemon cake mix with lemon pudding perhaps, maybe a yellowcake mix with pistchio pudding and chopped pistachios on top - I think you get the idea...be creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment